Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hot Cross Buns

Every time I hear "Hot Cross Buns" blaring out of my car CD player I wonder what they are. So I looked them up and found that you should make these on Good Friday, which is the Friday before Easter. They were named in 1733 and have a lot of history behind them. My favorite superstition is that if I hang one in the kitchen, it is said to " . . . protect against fires and ensure that all breads turn out perfectly. The hanging bun is replaced each year." (Wikipedia) I wonder how it makes the kitchen smell as the months go by. I recommend eating them instead of hanging them as they are really good.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
3/4 cup raisins or other dried fruit

1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons water

cream cheese frosting

Directions:
Put all ingredients except egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water in bread maker pan in order listed. Set to dough setting. Or use a mixer to mix and rise until double. When done mixing and rising, punch down dough on floured surface, cover, and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape into 12 balls and place in a greased 9 x 13 pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double, about 35 - 40 minutes. Mix egg yolk and 2 tablespoons water. Carefully brush on rolls. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. When cooled completely put frosting in a zip lock bag, cut corner and make an X on each bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment