Monday, November 2, 2009

Wanda's Donuts

Making these donuts is a fall tradition around our house. We take them to our neighbors and use the rest to "BOO" people. They are so so yummy when they are warm. They just melt right in your mouth. They remind me of getting donuts for Halloween at LaRue and Worthy Beck's house. I never want to forget those fun days and so we make the donuts each year.

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons yeast
1/2 cup warm water
4 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup mashed potatoes
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
5 small eggs
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla
10 cups flour (more or less)

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, sugar, shortening, potatoes and salt; mix well. Add remaining ingredients and flour a little at a time mixing well. Knead like a soft roll dough -- just enough to mix. Cover and raise until double. Roll dough out on a floured counter. Cut out into donuts. ( I use plastic cups and lids from spice jars.) Raise again 30 minutes. Fry in oil and dip in glaze frosting while hot.

*I usually make half the recipe in my mixer, but this year I did the full recipe all by hand in the biggest bowl I have. It was surprisingly easy.

Glaze Frosting:
powdered sugar
milk
vanilla

Mix ingredients together with a wire whisk until the glaze is the consistency you like. I like mine quite runny.


1 comment:

  1. I think about LaRue Beck every year on Halloween. Those were some good donuts. I've never made them before. You've inspired me...

    ReplyDelete