Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Dilly Chicken Sandwiches

I love cookbooks. I seriously can just sit and read them like I would a novel. This is dangerous to my waistline. But, when Taste of Home had cookbooks on sale for $5 each a few weeks ago, I had to buy some. Three, to be exact. They came in the mail today and I'm in heaven.



Tonight's dinner was from the Salads & Sandwiches cookbook. We love sandwiches at our house, and I'm so excited to have some new ideas. These were really, really good. I used whole wheat rolls from the grocery store bakery instead of french bread.

Dilly Chicken Sandwiches

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz. each)
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 tsp. dill weed, divided
6 Tbs. butter, divided
8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick) or sandwich rolls
1/4 c. cream cheese, softened
2 tsp. lemon juice
4 lettuce leaves
8 slices tomato

Flatten chicken to 1/4-inch thickness; set aside. In a large skillet, saute garlic and 1/2 tsp. dill in 3 Tbs. butter (I used about half this amount.) Add chicken; cook over medium heat until chicken juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.

Spread both sides of bread with remaining butter (again, I used much less.) In a skillet or griddle, grill bread on both sides until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, lemon juice and remaining dill. Spread on one side of grilled bread. Place lettuce, chicken and tomato on four slices of bread; top with remaining bread. Yield: 4 servings.

1 comment:

  1. This is just what I'm in the mood for. Plus I love anything with dill in it. Reminds me of the garden at home when we were little.

    ReplyDelete