Monday, August 16, 2010

Loaded French Toast

I happened upon this recipe today while looking on allrecipes.com so I decided to try it! The recipe I found was for Peanut Butter Banana French Toast. So I started making because I love peanut butter! Ben is getting pretty sick of it because I put it in everything! We also got some raspberries from Grandma and Grandpa Jex, (mom picked them!) and Ben said he wanted that instead of peanut butter and bananas. So I was trying to think what I could use to keep the French Toast together and looked through the fridge and found cream cheese! It was perfect! So I substituted the bananas and peanut butter for raspberries and cream cheese and it was divine! I was also thinking you could use other berries or fruit or even just jam! So we renamed the French toast with a more fitting name because not only is it loaded with yummy goodness, it is probably loaded with calories! (Ben pointed this out to me, but believe me it is worth it.)

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 dash vanilla extract
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
2 slices bread
1 small banana, sliced
2 tablespoons butter
Directions:
1. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg and vanilla together.
2. Spread 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on top of each slice of bread. Place the banana slices on top of one of the slices of bread. Place the other slice of bread on top of the first, to make a peanut butter and banana sandwich.
3. In a skillet or frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Dip the sandwich into the egg mixture and place in the heated skillet. Cook until brown on both sides. Serve hot.

I also didn't have any maple syrup, but I did have some of Mom's plum syrup and that was really tasty on the raspberry french toast. Also a week ago I made cinnamon syrup for waffles and we put that on the peanut butter banana french toast. Even just some powdered sugar on these babies is enough! Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I saw this recipe on allrecipes.com today and thought about making it! I'm definitely going to try the raspberry/cream cheese version instead. Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made something similar to this a while ago and you beat me to posting it! So yummy! We're going to have to try the PB one.

    ReplyDelete