Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Caramel Apple Sticky Buns

I like caramel apples, especially in October. So when I saw this recipe I new I had to try it. This recipe actually makes two pans, so I decided to take one to a lady I visit teach. As I was getting into the car, I saw some nice little tread marks on the tinfoil. Not a good thing to see when you have platter of warm, gooey sticky buns sitting on the floor of your car all ready to be delivered to one very lucky person. The funny thing was, Aubrey did the exact same thing to a plate of homemade Oreo cookies I was taking to the same lady a month earlier. You would think that either she or I would learn. . . or maybe it's a sign that dropping off a treat is not real visiting teaching. So anyway, Dave insisted on taking the smashed rolls to work the next day and he convinced several coworkers that they need to get women in their lives. They are that good.




(Adapted from Pioneer Woman)

Roll Dough
Ingredients:
2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
4 1/2 cups flour, divided
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon (scant) baking soda
1/2 teaspoon (heaping) baking powder
1/2 cup softened butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons cinnamon

For the Caramel Topping
1/2 cup salted butter
1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon dark brown corn syrup
2 tablespoons cream
2 tablespoons apple juice (optional)
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and finely diced

Directions:
To make the dough:
Heat milk, oil, and 1/2 cup sugar until warm (do not boil). Allow to cool to lukewarm. Sprinkle in yeast and 4 cups flour. Stir gently and cover with a tea towel, allowing it to rise for 1 hour. After 1 hour, mix in remaining flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

To make the caramel topping:
Add 1 stick butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, cream, and apple juice to a medium saucepan. Allow to melt over low heat until totally combined. Allow to boil for a few seconds, then remove from heat. Set aside.

To make the rolls:
Divide dough in half and roll out into a large rectangle. Spread on half the softened butter, half the brown sugar and half the cinnamon. Roll into a long jelly roll and then slice into rolls.

To assemble:
Spray a deep dish pie pan (at least 9 inch) with cooking spray. Pour in half the caramel topping. Sprinkle half the diced apples over the top, then arrange sliced rolls all over the pan. Allow to rise for 20 to 30 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, covered in foil for the first 25 minutes. Invert on a serving plate 5 minutes after taking out of oven. Repeat with the other half of dough.

I used a 9 inch cake pan as the original recipe suggested and it boiled over in my oven. The pie pan worked fine. Next time I may try to make it in a 9 X 13 pan and an 8 X 8 pan. Also, in the photos above I only used one apple total. I've made it since and put a whole apple in each pan. Everyone loves the apples.


1 comment: