Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

I bought the new 2010 Taste of Home Holiday Recipes magazine at Costco on Friday. I've been thumbing through it all weekend. It's one of my favorite holiday traditions, thanks to you, Hilary! I got the inspiration for this recipe from that magazine, but I changed it up enough that I'll just post my version below. The trifle is made up of three layers: gingerbread, pumpkin, and whipped cream. The trifle is ready to eat as soon as it is assembled, but definitely tastes better the second day.



Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle
Gingerbread (adapted from allrecipes.com):
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. applesauce
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 c. molasses
2 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. hot water
Pumpkin Layer:
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
2 c. milk
1 c. pumpkin puree
1/4 c. brown sugar
Whipped Cream Layer:
8 oz. Cool Whip (or use real whipped cream)
First, make the gingerbread. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch pan. Cream together butter and sugar. Add applesauce and egg. Mix in molasses. (Note: I started this recipe before I noticed how much molasses I had in my pantry... which was only about 1/3 cup. The original recipe calls for a full cup. It was really good with just what I had on hand, but would probably taste great with the full cup if you like molasses.) In a large bowl, sift together flour, soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Stir in hot water. Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely.
Make pudding according to package directions. Add pumpkin puree and brown sugar and stir until smooth.
Assembling the Trifle:
After cake has cooled completely, cut into cubes and layer half the cake in the bottom of a glass bowl. Spread half the pumpkin mixture over this layer. Top with half the cool whip or whipped cream. Repeat layers, ending with whipped cream on top.
This dessert turned out really pretty and so yummy. Next time I make it I will use more molasses in the gingerbread and also use real whipped cream instead of the light cool whip I had in my freezer.
(**I'm sorry there are no line breaks in this recipe. That's really annoying. Why won't blogger just publish it the way I wrote it!?)

2 comments:

  1. I just made the chocolate trifle for Olivia's birthday instead of a cake and I found myself wondering if there was a pumpkin trifle recipe out there. Thanks! We'll be trying it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is by far my favorite beginning of Fall and the holidays tradition. I haven't made this one yet, but it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete