Saturday, March 6, 2010

Candied Walnut Feta Salad

I've been looking all over the place for some new spring salads. It is that time of year again, right? I found this recipe and altered it a bit. I love it, but my family didn't really like the dressing. If you're not a fan of raspberry vinaigrette, you can always leave the dressing off and serve it with a side dressing of your choice. The walnuts are so so yummy -- totally worth the extra sugar in the salad.

Ingredients:
1 cup walnut halves
1/2 cup sugar
6 cups mixed greens
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup crumbled Feta cheese
2 tablespoons raspberry vinaigrette
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:
Place walnuts and sugar in a skillet and stir constantly over medium heat until the sugar turns to a light brown liquid and coats the nuts. Remove skillet from heat. Place nuts on a sheet of aluminum foil to cool. Mix the greens, cranberries and cheese in a large bowl. Whisk together the vinaigrette, vinegar, and olive oil. Pour over greens and toss to coat. Add candied walnuts and toss again. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

  1. I've made this salad before and it's so yummy! I like it with a chopped green apple in there, too. Another dressing that would be good is a creamy poppyseed dressing. Kraft makes one that I'm hooked on lately. It would go really well with this salad and your kids might like it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green apple would be good. I'll have to try that dressing. Thanks for the suggestion. I thought this salad was a lot like the holiday salad you posted earlier, but I thought I would post this one also because those candied walnuts are the greatest! I couldn't stop eating them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to the store to buy the stuff right now!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete