Sunday, September 12, 2010

Basil Pesto

In my nutrition education counseling class, I have on Fridays my teacher always makes us food! This is what we had this week and it is so good! She always gives us the recipe too! I got the basil and the bread at the Gardener's Market on Saturday and it made it really inexpensive and really fun!

3 C Fresh Basil, loosely packed
1/3 C Pine Nuts (I used almonds cause they are cheaper!)
1/3 C Olive oil
1/3 C Parmesan cheese, grated
1-2 Cloves fresh Garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Salt

Place all ingredients in food processor or blender, pulse until uniform consistency, but with some texture remaining.

Use on pasta, pizza, as a spread, as filling in breads, etc.
Pesto can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days or frozen for longer storage.

*I made about 1/3 of the recipe because it is very flavorful and a little bit goes a long way! But for a pizza sauce or for pasta I would make the amount in the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment