Thursday, September 30, 2010

Layered Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies

I found one lonely can of pumpkin at the grocery store this week. (Is everyone else still having a hard time finding it?) I decided I'd better make something really good with that one can, just in case I can't get any more for a while. I came across this recipe on Cookie Madness: Layered Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies. (Her pictures are much better than mine.) Wow. These are so delicious. Also totally worth the pregnancy-induced heartburn they brought on later. Maybe that will keep me from eating the entire pan tomorrow.


Pumpkin Cheesecake Filling:
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
6 Tbs. brown sugar
2 Tbs. granulated sugar
3/4 c. canned pumpkin
1 large egg plus 2 Tbs. beaten egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 Tbs. flour
Brownies Batter:
2 sticks butter
1/4 tsp. plus a tiny pinch of salt
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. bittersweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
1 c. flour
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch square pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. (I didn't line the pan, just sprayed with cooking spray.)
Make the pumpkin filling first. Beat the cream cheese and sugars together with a mixer, then reduce speed and beat in the pumpkin, egg, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir in the flour. Set aside.
In a second bowl, beat the butter, salt and sugar until creamy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the melted chocolate chips, then stir in the flour. Pour all but about 3/4 c. of the chocolate mixture into the pan.
Spoon the pumpkin mixture evenly over the brownies layer. Drop reserved brownie batter over pumpkin to give the brownies a marbled look. Bake on the center rack at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until the brownies test done. That is, when a skewer inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool for about two hours at room temperature, then chill for a few hours or overnight. Cut into 16 squares.
*I used semisweet chocolate chips because that's what I had in the pantry. I also needed to bake mine close to an hour. I don't have a 9x9 pan, so I used an 8x8 and then put a little of the batter into a small loaf pan. The brownies definitely would have spilled over the top if I had tried to pour it all into the 8x8 pan. Just a warning.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, you're doing what I'm doing! Those sound so good. Unfortunately there isn't a single can of pumpkin available in the whole DFW area. Sad, isn't it? No chocolate chip pumpkin muffins, pumpkin rolls, pumpkin bread, pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, and now pumpkin brownies! I feel depression coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... luckily I have a can of pumpkin in food storage. Poor Erin, I can't imagine not being able to get a can of pumpkin in October. Can't wait to try them tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girls! I just got back from Wal-Mart and they had a whole shelf of pumpkin! I may or may not have bought at least 12 cans. You might want to check there. If not... I could mail you a can or two!

    ReplyDelete