Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cream Cheese Cucumber Spread

Grayson's nurse has been losing weight by eating healthier food in proper portion sizes and exercising. So since it's January and all, and we're in sugar detox mode from the holidays, Olivia and I have decided to give it a try, too. We had salad last night and tonight I made some pita sandwiches -- with whole wheat pita bread, tomatoes, lettuce, green onions, and some left over shredded beef. I am sure we would have immediately died if we were to cut back cold turkey, so I had to make this spread to make sure we would all survive through the night. I would have used plain non-fat yogurt if I would have had it--actually, no I wouldn't have. It just cannot replace the cream cheese without some major bad side effects. Forget it. This is good. Spread it on wraps, bagel sandwiches, pita sandwiches, or a toasted baguette.

Ingredients:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Kosher salt to taste

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate.

*Dave got a new mini food processor from a coworker for Christmas. I was so elated! I've never had a food processor. I chopped the cucumbers in the processor and then added all the remaining ingredients and wa-lah, it was done. I would recommend your coworker give you one for Christmas next year.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm... sounds yummy, I got one of those mini food processors for our wedding, I have only used it to make pesto, I'm excited to give it another workout!!

    ReplyDelete