Sunday, January 23, 2011

No Knead Bread

I got this recipe from my teacher (she is my favorite, see below), who brought it to a party we had at the end of last semester. I finally tried and loved it. She said that I couldn't mess this one up, and I didn't! So easy and soooo yummy! I halved the recipe, just to try it and totally wish I would have made the whole recipe!

Courtesy of Tamara Vitale

6C Flour

3C Cold water

1T Salt

1/2 tsp Rapid-rise yeast

Cornmeal for sprinkling

Combine flour, yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in water till the mixture is blended. The dough will be loose and wet. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise at room temperature 12 to 19 hours– the longer the better.

Flour your hands and sprinkle the top of the dough lightly with flour. Turn the dough over on itself a couple times. Form the dough into a ball using as little flour as possible. The dough will seem somewhat fluid but it will form a ball. (It's tempting to use a lot of flour here but don't. The dough should stay moist.)

Place the dough on a smooth-surface sprinkled with cornmeal or flour. Lightly dust the top of the dough with flour or cornmeal, then cover it with a smooth-textured towel. Let the dough rise until doubled (about 2 or 3 hours).

At least a half hour before the dough has finished rising, place a Dutch oven with a lid in the oven and preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Remove the pot from the oven and carefully place the dough in the Dutch oven. Shake the pot to distribute the dough evenly. Replace the lid and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and bake another 10 minutes or until the top is golden and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Cool completely before slicing.

3 comments:

  1. I totally want to try this but I don't have a dutch oven! It looks so yummy.

    As a fuuny coincidence - I went biking with my friend Anya yesterday. She did the Dietetics program at USU and she was talking about this same teacher and just how great she is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good. I'm glad it is one that I can halve. It's nice to put a face to that great teacher you are always talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm, I'll be finding my Dutch Oven in the garage and trying this one out this week. I love rustic looking artisan bread like this.

    ReplyDelete