Monday, October 19, 2009

Butternut Squash Soup

I'm cooking again! Oddly enough, I really missed cooking my own meals while Krynn was in the hospital. We had so many people bringing us food that we've been eating leftovers for weeks. But, I'm finally back in the kitchen. This recipe is the same recipe I use for pumpkin soup, and one of my favorite recipes for fall. I used butternut squash this time, but I think I like it better with pumpkin.

Pumpkin Soup
1/4 c. butter
1 small onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic
2 tsp brown sugar
14 oz. chicken broth
1/2 c. water
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
15 oz. pumpkin
12 oz. evaporated milk
1/8 tsp cinnamon
Chop onion small and saute with butter, garlic, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Add broth and water. Bring to boil, turn heat down to medium and simmer 15 minutes. Add milk, pumpkin and cinnamon. Cook on medium heat 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with crusty bread. (For the squash recipe, I baked the butternut squash until very soft, then pureed in the food processor. Replace the pumpkin with the squash.)

1 comment:

  1. Have you read the children's book called Pumpkin Soup? It's a cute book with a pumpkin soup recipe at the end. We made the soup one year and we decided we liked the book much better than the soup. We'll have to try your recipe out. Tis the season for soup!

    ReplyDelete