Sunday, October 25, 2009

Delicious Lasagna

My friend brought this lasagna to us when Krynn was in the hospital. It was so good I asked her for the recipe. I think it's the best lasagna I've ever had. I forgot to take a picture before we ate it all...

Delicious Lasagna

1 lb. Italian sausage
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I use the kind with garlic and basil)
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. oregano
1 large container cottage cheese (at least 16 oz, I used half ricotta cheese.)
3 Tbs. dried parsley
1 egg
2/3 c. Parmesan cheese
1 lb. mozzarella cheese, grated
9 lasagna noodles, cooked al dente

In a large frying pan cook sausage and onion. Drain off fat. Place in crock pot on low heat. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, and diced tomatoes. Let simmer on low approx. 4 hours, stirring once in a while. Add minced garlic, basil, oregano, and pepper 30 minutes before sauce is done. Then turn crock pot off. In medium sized bowl, mix together cottage cheese, egg, parsley, and Parmesan cheese. You should now have 4 layers (noodles, cottage cheese mixture, sauce, and mozzarella cheese.) Layer it in this order, beginning with the noodles. Grease Pyrex dish with a little olive oil. This makes enough for a 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. This is a great recipe to make the day before and also freezes well.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, good. I have NEVER made good lasagna. Interesting to crock pot the sauce and meat together. I'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a little more work to do the sauce in the crock pot, but it is so much better than just using jarred sauce, which is what I usually do. Try this recipe, it's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( ... You just made me really hungry... and I don't get to eat until like 7:00PM...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made this twice already. I took it to a family that just had a new baby and they loved it! I think the sauce is the trick. It's my new lasagna recipe and I don't think I'll be trying a new one for a long while. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete